Based on the latest report mentioned on the China Times today, here are the top 3 food additives that they suggested consumers to avoid:
- Artificial preservatives : 79%
- Artificial flavors : 78%
- Artificial colouring and antibiotics or hormones in animal products : 76% (artificial coloring additives are also used in baking)
The rest food additives that also are also potentially harmful to health are :
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate (MSG/E621) : 74%
- Artificial sweetener : 73%
- GMF (Genetically modified foods) : 70%
- Take-away using BPA Phenolic Methane Packaging : 67%
- Sodium : 53%
- Trans fat : 52%
The research also showed preferences of those who care about health:
- Pure & Nature : 68%
- Non-genetically modified : 59%
- Free from artificial flavor : 52%
- Free from artificial coloring : 49%
- Organic or low sugar or sugar-free : 48% in each element
This is the research from Taiwan. When further investigate on this matter, I also found another interesting article by Mike Adams which he pointed out there are over 300 chemicals used in the food processing today and statistics show the average American household spends about 90% of their food budget on those questionable foods. Due the difference in food culture, therefore the top 10 food additives to avoid in the States is slightly different from the research in Taiwan. So let’s see what is the difference between Asia food vs. American food:
- Artificial sweeteners – Aspartame, (E951) more popularly known as Nutrasweet and Equal, is often found in foods labeled “diet” or “sugar free”, so think twice is your sugar free or diet drink are really healthy and nature or not.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup – a highly-refined artificial sweetener which can be found in almost all processed foods.
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate (MSG/E621) – an amino acid used as a flavor enhancer in soups, salad dressings, chips, frozen entrees, and many restaurant foods. Waw, I guess it is better to make my own saslad dressing in the future
- Trans fat – this can enhance and extend the shelf life of food products
- Common Food Dyes – these are artificial colorings, can be found in soda, fruit juices and salad dressings, may contribute to behavioral problems in children and lead to a significant reduction in IQ. Is it potential cause for children who have ADD or ADHD learning problems?
- Sodium Sulfite (E221) – Preservative used in wine-making and other processed foods
- Sodium Nitrate / Sodium Nitrite – used as a preservative, coloring and flavoring in bacon, ham, hot dogs, luncheon meats, corned beef, smoked fish and other processed meats
- BHA & BHT (E320) – I was surprised when I realised these are used as preservatives in cereals, chewing gum, potato chips, and vegetable oils
- Sulfur Dioxide (E220) – these are toxic which can cause allergy reaction to those who suffer from asthma, hypotension (low blood pressure), flushing tingling sensations or anaphylactic shock
- Potassium Bromate – An additive used to increase volume in some white flour, breads, and rolls
Source : http://www.hungryforchange.tv/article/top-10-food-additives-to-avoid
What do you care about for your health? Then you have to challenge yourself by asking “What kind of actions I need to take for my own health? “.