Is Anji White Tea a white tea? No, actually it is an amazing green tea !
Geographic brief info
Anji is a very famous bamboo county at the North West of Zhejiang Province in China. Those who love Long Jing probably would describe the aroma and flavour of Long Jing as ‘Masculine and dominant”, for Anji White Tea they probably will describe it as “feminine and fine”.
Even though we call it White Tea, but actually it has nothing to do with white tea, in fact it is a fine green tea. Because the color of fresh leaf is in very pale green, so it’s name as Anji White Tea. The flavour and taste are very mild and fine.
Legend historical stories
Anji white tea has a very interesting legend story. Actually it was first mentioned in Cha Jing (茶經) written by Lu Yu in Tang dynasty, and then later mentioned in Da Guan Cha Luen (大觀茶論) written by Huei Zhong in Song dynasty. But there was no any document mentioned about this unique white tea in the Ming dynasty for nearly 350 years.
The legendary rediscovery goes back to the sixth emperor in Ching Dynasty (1711-1799) that people discovered ten’ish wild white tea tree in Xiao Feng Zhen in 1930, but later this natural gymnastic changed tea trees were again disappeared until someone took a photo in very remote valley in 1958.
After few decades of research, finally have found a wild pale green tea tree in 1982. In 1996 the Anji county tried to plant Anji white tea tree cultivar by using the striking cutting-method in about 66,000m2 of land, but only less than 20% can produce Anji White Tea.
Perhaps it’s because the bamboo surrounding in the neighbourhood, Anji White Tea does have an unique mixture of creamy bamboo green note. Anji White Tea is also known as “Lady’s Tea” because of its very beautiful and elegant shape and color, the top quality is 1 bud with 1 young leaf.
- Flavour: Fine green note with a notion of creamy and bamboo aroma and flavour
- Taste: Mild and fine but not aggressive as other green tea
- Suggested water temperature: 75-80°C (max. not exceed 85°C)
- Adapting the “Top Throw” brewing method
- Tea ware: for me, the best is glass so I can enjoy how young leaves absorbing and falling down in the water. If not, can also use the porcelain gaiwan or teapot. But still glass is my preference.
Anji White Tea is like the rest fine quality green tea, it contains very rich Amino Acid, it’s suitable for those who would like to appreciate green tea but have sensitive stomach. However, just because fine quality green tea contains very rich minerals, vitamins and micro- elements, therefore the following people probably should pay attention when drinking tea:
- Patient with urinary stones problem because many fine green tea such as Anji White Tea contains very rich Oxalic acid element
- Patient with lever problem because fine green tea contains also very rich Potassium that can increase the metabolic function
- Pregnant and lactating women.
- When having cold and fever. At that time, black tea (red tea) with ginger and honey is better choice than green tea.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.